No announcement yet.

Fuel smell

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel smell

I keep my 1965 TBird in a Garage, but it has a very heavy gas smell. The Air Cleaner reeks of gas odor, and it was put on a few weeks ago.

The Carb is a Holley. It appears that there might be a small leak at the Carb casket. Could this be the cause? Would replacing the Casket fix the problem? The Fuel Line from the Carb it starts off as web looking tubing, and then its connected to the metal tubing after about 2 feet. This does not appear to be correct.

My son thinks we should purchase an Autolite 4100 Carb since it is the one that should be on the car.

Suggestions.

NightBird
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Holleys are known to leak at the front and rear bowl gaskets. If the carb runs fine otherwise I would purchase a rebuild kit and redo it. It's very simple. A 4100 may be the original carb but I haven't had much luck with them and the newer fuels. I would stick with the Holley or go with an Edelbrock 1406.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Yadkin
      Banned
      • Aug 11 2012

It sounds to me that you are in need of a carburetor rebuild.

I spent an inordinate amount of time tuning my 4100 and finally gave up- alcohol in modern fuels just messes it up, so I don't recommend going that route. Check with the manufacturer of your carburetor for the date, how it vents and compatibility with modern fuels. Evaporative emissions was the first control in the mid 60's, both the fuel tank and the carb bowls. My '64 autolite 4100 had vent holes to the atmosphere, and later models vented inside the air cleaner.

If yours vents to the outside or is incompatible with alcohol blends then replace it.

Comment

I would rather replace it then rebuild. I understand about the Alcohol. I am leaning towards the Edelbrock. Reason is if the Holley has a history of leaking, I just do not want to rebuild it. Just wondering how the Edelbrock 1406 holds up with the current fuel with Alcohol.

We have one station that has Alcohol free gas, but its 30 miles away.

NightBird

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by NightBird
          Just wondering how the Edelbrock 1406 holds up with the current fuel with Alcohol.

NightBird
          Quite a few members have the Edelbrock 1406 on their cars. I had one on my '59 before I sold the car. I didn't have any issues with the newer fuels.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Thank you all for the great advice.

NightBird
            Ken

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍