X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frango100
    Experienced
    • May 2 2016

Engine air filter

Can anybody give me a part number of a modern air filter which will fit well in the stock air filter housing of a 352? The filter i have now is a bit too big.
    sigpicFrank
    1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
    Thunderbird registry #61670
  • DKheld
    Super-Experienced
    • Aug 27 2008

If you have the original 352 or 430 Tbird air cleaner it uses a Fram CA154 or equivalent.

Wix 42051 is also a replacement number.

For the numbers above - make sure it is the 352 or 430 Tbird air cleaner - I have seen quite a few that have the Galaxie or later 390 housings.

Tbird 352

Tbird 430 type (but on my 352 engine)
    Only difference is the air intake opening has a flare for the heat riser on the 430

352 left / 430 right
    Sort of hard to see the difference

Galaxie type
    (no idea what type filter this takes)

Eric

Comment

• Yadkin
      Banned
      • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by Frango100
      Can anybody give me a part number of a modern air filter which will fit well in the stock air filter housing of a 352? The filter i have now is a bit too big.
      By too big you mean too tall? Here's a Wix 42051 installed in mine. As you can see, it is a bit too tall. I have hammered down the interior flange of the air cleaner as much as I can, and it still peeks out of the lid a bit. But the air entering the engine still gets filtered.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Deanj
        Super-Experienced
        • Nov 26 2015

You educated me and burst my bubble. I knew my 1960 had a 1963 Galaxie type 390 air cleaner housing as the original owner liked that era in wire wheel covers, too. I thought I located a 352 housing when I bought a 410 MEL on EBay. It looked, I thought, identical although the color was almond or beige. I knew the flair was for the exhaust manifold heater pipe, but thought that was just a 430 option.

I'll keep it a secret if you do.

Dean

Comment

• Joe Johnston
          Super-Experienced
          • Dec 23 2008

"Back in the day".............we used to lift the lids just like in Yadkin's photo with the taller filter or a spacer. My 63SR is like this today. Depending on the car, some guys flipped the lids over to expose a bit of the element as shown. We thought it let more fresh air in, and definitely made a Holley carb louder when the 4 bbl opened. Maybe didn't go faster, but we thought it did.

FYI - I "improved" my 67 Fairlane GTA enough to get it down to 5-6 mpg.

Comment

• Frango100
            Experienced
            • May 2 2016

Great info Eric, I do have the standard T-bird filter housing. I will see if I can get an equivalent filter over here, or just order a new one online.
            I have a Mann filter installed now and its just too large in diameter. It fits, but will not stay round. Just to prevent any air leaks past the element, I prefer to install the right size.
            Thanks to all for the answers.
            sigpicFrank
            1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
            Thunderbird registry #61670

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍