Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timmy
    • Feb 7 2017

'61 With Landau Top?

I've done some research and from what I can tell the landau tops start in '62. I just want to make sure that is correct because I have a '61 with a landau top but it looks like it may be rusting underneath it in a spot or two so I was planning on removing it and just painting it. If anyone knows for sure I'd really appreciate it, and sorry for a newb question I'm not super knowledgable.
  • Yadkin
    Banned
    • Aug 11 2012

If it 'looks like rust underneath' there probably is a lot of rust underneath. I never like that trend and after seeing several vinyl roofs stipped off now have a technical reason not to like them even more.

Both Wikipedia and Haggerty say the same thing, the vinyl top introduced in '62, so that's probably correct. Look up your VIN code for another clue.

Some dealers, to this day, put aftermarket vinyl tops on new cars so yours might be one of those. Or it's an older restoration.

Comment

• timmy
      • Feb 7 2017

I did a vin check and it's definitely a '61 hardtop. The guyI bought it from had a couple questionable "upgrades" so I'm assuming what I've seen they did it as an upgrade. I'm going to have to repaint the car anyways so thats coming off

Comment

• Yadkin
        Banned
        • Aug 11 2012

Good for you. Your car, your way.

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The landau top option was not available until 1962. Sometimes dishonest owners will put a vinyl top over a rusty top just so they can sell it.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎