Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PatienceMetalFab
    • May 4 2016

1962 Resto-Mod 5.4 DOHC

This is a '62 just recently finished for a customer. It was a pretty clean survivor, minus some small body damage, but no rust. The motor was tired at 113,000 and needed to be replaced but things snowballed a bit from there:

-5.4 DOHC from a '99 Navigator
    -Sullivan carb intake manifold/holley 670 street avenger
    -MSD Mod 6 ignition controller
    -4r70w controlled via a Baumann Electronics U.S. Shift controller
    -Fabricated mustang II front w/disk brakes and rack and pinion
    -Fabricated steering column support to keep swing away column after removal of the steering box
    -Custom fabricated oil pan
    -Complete rewire to tuck/hide all possible wiring with fuse/relay panel in trunk w/battery box
    -Mishimoto aluminum radiator w/dual fan setup
    -All plumbing with Vibrant braided hose and -AN fittings
    -Modified front sway bar
    -Narrowed 9" disk brake rear end
    -Fabricated 4 link w/QA1 single adjustable coilovers
    -Rear adjustable sway bar
    -Rear tub modifications, but NOT mini tubbed
    -22x8.5 and 22x10 custom Foose Nitrous forged 3 piece wheels
    -Nitto Invo 275/30r22 and 255/30r22

There are a few more pictures of mid build on the website as well as facebook, please feel free to check them out.

http://www.patiencemetalfab.com/ford...resto-mod.html
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

nice work there. Is the car staying in the area, or being shipped somewhere?
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• Dan Leavens
      Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Bryan very nicely done.
      Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
      Thunderbird Registry
      58HT #33317
      60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Yadkin
        Banned
        • Aug 11 2012

Wheels too big and sits too low for my taste, but I like most of everything else. How does it ride?

Comment

• PatienceMetalFab
          • May 4 2016

The car is staying in MN-hopefully going to make it out to a handful of shows this summer yet. This is the customer's first vehicle like this so he is amped to go show it off.

As far as handling, this thing handles awesome now...the big wheels/tires really give it a solid feel and the sway bars make for minimal body roll. Not exactly a competitive autocross candidate, but very fun to cruise and hit clover-leafs with.
          As for the big wheels and low stance, it's an aggressive look for this car. I totally understand not liking the look, but that's the fun part about building custom cars-you get to do all different types of stuff.

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Originally posted by PatienceMetalFab
            ...I totally understand not liking the look, but that's the fun part about building custom cars-you get to do all different types of stuff.
            Thank God everyone doesn't collect '57 Chevy's and Deuce Coups, or this site wouldn't exist.

California has more '32 Fords registered than Ford ever produced! - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• scumdog
              Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

I LOVE it!

Exactly the sort of thing I would do if I had the $$$.

I'd find a ratted out Square to Flairbird that was still sound and just completely modernise it but keep the classic good looks as much as possible.
              A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• PatienceMetalFab
                • May 4 2016

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                Thank God everyone doesn't collect '57 Chevy's and Deuce Coups, or this site wouldn't exist.

California has more '32 Fords registered than Ford ever produced! - Dave
                That's an awesome fun fact..haha. I was never personally a fan of this body style bird, but after building it and putting near 350 miles on it before giving it back to the customer, it definitely grew on me.

Comment

• DKheld
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Aug 27 2008

Awesome - but have to agree with Steve - believe I would change the wheels/tires - those big old things make it look like a matchbox car but maybe that's the look that was intended....

Nice work getting that oil pan fabricated and installed. I too would love to either modify mine or find a Squarebird to install a modern FI engine and AOD transmission. Sure wish I could have been involved in the build. Would love to have seen how the electronic shifter went in and connected etc.

Cool that you kept the swing away steering.

Hope you get to do a Squarebird (if I win the lottery I'll give you a call)

What's the next project???

Eric

Comment

• PatienceMetalFab
                    • May 4 2016

The wheels are exactly what the customer wanted and he loves them-that's all that matters. I personally like the rear but could have done 20s up front instead of 22's.

Our next project is finishing a Formula D drift car, and swapping a Coyote 5.0 into an '89 Saleen-all sorts of fun stuff!

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎