X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

solution to poor quarter window mechanisms

Following some emailed discussions with another member here (TMJsong1), I had a buddy (who runs a CNC machine) make me some rollers made of brass.

They have a larger O.D. and dont allow the up-and-down sloppiness that the original rollers and repro. nylon rollers allow. They are also solid all the way through, and fit onto the regulator pins perfectly.

I've done one side with the brass units, and it works great.

I'd like to get these brass rollers installed in the other quarter window unit before I call it a 100% success.

Then I suppose some of you here might want to give them a try.

The photo below shows an original, a nylon repro. roller, and the shiny new brass unit.
    Attached Files
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

How fortuitous ...

I went through mine last year. Rebuilt the motors, straightened out linkage and lubed everything. They go up and down nicely, but I couldn't get them to close fully up top where it meets the door glass. Is this the same problem you had? If yours work out like it looks they will I would definitely be interested in getting some new rollers. If we keep at it and solve all these little Squarebird glitches they'll be better than new. Mike

Comment

• Dakota Boy
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 30 2009

I also cleaned and greased everything. Even opened up the little gearboxes for cleaning and greasing. New lining on the rear tracks. New beltline weatherstrips too.

The side with the brass: window stops in the same spot every time you close it. I guess this is the main advantage of the brass rollers.

The side with the original rollers: window stops in a different spot each time. It's enough to drive a person CRAZY. My biggest fear is that it gets pushed out too far and then when the door shuts, the door window gets cracked. I made a tiny mark (wife's fingernail polish) on the roof rail weather strip so I know exactly where the qtr. window needs to be positioned in order to line up with the door glass.

I have to wonder how well these windows worked 50 years ago when the cars were new?

Comment

Quarter windows ...

I believe there is a member here who has owned his bird since new. Maybe he could give us some insight into how they worked when new. Have you had any luck in getting the windows to line up at the top, or is that not an issue on yours? I will be getting back to work on mine when I finish up the new aluminum radiator install this week. I was considering nylon or plastic cam on the roof line seal to kick the top of the window out. Mike

Comment

• Dakota Boy
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 30 2009

I will need to install the brass bushings on the other side before I pass any further judgement on this...

Comment

• Dakota Boy
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 30 2009

(bumping this old post back up due to recent interest)

Comment

• 619Square
              Apprentice
              • Aug 20 2009

I am still interested in a brass set....
              --------------------------------
              1960 Thunderbird
              Been in my family since 1961
              Portland, OR

Comment

• REM
                Apprentice
                • Mar 28 2011

You guys are making me nervous.
                I have one of my quarter windows out now for glass replacement and was hoping for an easy install and adjust.
                On tear down I did notice that most of the adjustments had been previously fooled with.
                All the grease was dried and rollers and tracks dragging but nothing seemed worn.
                Heres hoping the rear windows haven't been used much and all will be ok with a good cleaning, lube and adjustment.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jun 30 2009

My quarter windows had the rollers totally "grooved" and worn out, and the roller tracks in the quarter window frames had become wider in the center.

If your frames are also bowed out like this, you need to lightly tap them with a hammer until the roller track is the same width along the entire slot. This hammering made me nervous, but nothing broke!

Then the new brass rollers fit in there perfectly, and the "slop" in the assembly is greatly reduced.

With the brass bushings I made, I still bought a few of the roller assemblies from the parts houses because I needed some new beveled washers, flat washers, and clips.
                  Last edited by Dakota Boy; May 2, 2011, 08:09 PM.

Comment

• REM
                    Apprentice
                    • Mar 28 2011

On the one that I have out the frame looks real good. I will have to look closely at the rollers. I didn't pay much attention to them.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎